Everyone is looking forward to the long weekend, celebrating Our Nation’s Independence Day on July 4th. It’s a great time to spend time with friends and family, whether you’re headed to the beach or an outdoor cookout. Please remember these safety tips and have a great Fourth of July.
On the highway:
- Buckle seat belts, observe speed limits.
- Do not drink and drive.
- Pay full attention to the road – don’t use a cell phone to call or text.
- Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use.
- Never grill indoors – not in the house, camper, tent, or any enclosed area.
- Make sure everyone, including the pets, stays away from the grill.
- Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
- Use the long-handled tools especially made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.
When using fireworks:
- Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
- Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.