Modification of Child Support:

Child support modifications should be sought when there is a “substantial change in circumstances” which would either increase or decrease the amount of child support to be paid or received by a party.
Some events that may constitute a substantial change in circumstances are:

  • The loss of a job
  • A substantial decrease in income
  • A substantial increase in income
  • A substantial change in daycare/aftercare or health insurance expenses for the child at issue
  • A child graduating from high school or turning 18 years old

Modification of Time Sharing:

Modifying timesharing is always an option when children are involved. In order to modify time sharing, you need to allege and ultimately prove a substantial change in circumstances. Once you meet your burden of showing a substantial change in circumstances, you also have to demonstrate to the Court that the requested change is in the best interest of the child.

Modification of Alimony:

Modification of alimony is very similar to child support in that the changes that often lead to a change in child support payments often lead to a substantial change which would constitute grounds to modify an amount of alimony. However, modifying alimony is generally much more difficult than modifying child support.

First, some alimony is non-modifiable. If you signed a settlement agreement agreeing to non-modifiable alimony, you will not be able to change your payments even if a substantial change occurs.

Second, the term of alimony is usually non-modifiable. This means that you may be obligated to pay permanent alimony forever, but the Court has the ability to modify the amount.

Frequently Asked Questions

Get in Touch

Dr. Phillips
7625 W. Sand Lake Road Suite #202
Orlando, FL 32819
Phone: 407-512-4394

Lake Nona
9161 Narcoossee Road Suite #210
Orlando, FL 32827
Phone: 407-982-7261

Waterford Lakes
12301 Lake Underhill Road
Suite #213
Orlando, FL 32828
Phone: 407-512-4394